The 1930s was an era of intense working-class struggle. Nowhere was this more true than in Minnesota, where rank and file Teamsters waged a historic struggle that transformed an open shop stronghold into union territory.
Teamster POlitics is the story of how
- unions defended their democratic rights against FBI frame-ups.
- Minnesota Teamsters spearheaded a united struggle for jobs against drastic WPA layoffs.
- revolutionaries fought for independent political action in the unions and the Farmer Labor Party.
- an organising drive by the Silver Shirts, an American Fascist group, was stopped cold by Local 544's Union Defence Guard.
- the Minnesota unemployed movement combated the brutal repression ordered by 'friend of labour' Franklin D. Roosevelt as he prepared to enter World War II.